6.24.2009

Best Friends

My brother and I are about 10 years apart. I love him to death, but I don't think he and I experienced the kind of sibling relationship that most of my other friends who had brothers or sisters close in age did. But now, I get to watch it unfold with my own kids, and it's quite the trip.

Now, I was warned about a lot of things before having two kids, but nobody told me about how cool it would be to watch my son and my daughter grow to love each other so much. Nobody told me that watching them play together and react so strongly to one another would sucker punch my heart and make me lose my breath from the intensity of my love for them as a unit. Nobody told me that I would never be able to explain just how incredible it would feel to raise two kids who were so in love with each other.


my kids over a year ago. all about the love.

These two silly kids of mine... They crack each other up like no one else can. They drive each other nuts like no one else can. They support one another. They get into all sorts of trouble together. They are always, always thinking and looking out for the other. In short, they are inseparable. Wherever one goes, the other follows; whatever one does, the other must do as well.


our two monkeys goofing off a few months ago at Five Guys Burger & Fries

It fills my mama heart so much to see my kids growing up together. My husband and I will seriously sit on the couch and do nothing but watch them for 30 minutes straight, in total awe of their relationship. I don't think I've ever witnessed a love like these two have for one another. It's crazy cool. It helps make the really difficult moments of raising two kids (of which, there are M.A.N.Y!) totally completely over the moon worth it. And then some. And then some.

PS - wanna know the freakiest activity these two like to do together all the time? Clean the house. Yep. If I'm picking up around the house, one will grab the Clorox wipes and they both will excitedly start cleaning the tables, chairs, stairs, or one will grab the broom and start sweeping while the other picks up items to put away... I am most definitely NOT going to mess with a good thing and let them continue with this weird behavior for as long as they want! You know, because it obviously brings them closer together. :)

7 comments:

Andrew said...

I totally understand where you are coming from with this. Our two girls have a really tight bond and we had the hardest time getting them separated this last weekend so one could go with mom to Seattle and the other to stay home for daddy time.

My sister and I were a couple years apart and I just remember a lot of fighting between the two of us till we got old enough to appreciate each other. These two crazy girls fight but make up just as fast. The cleaning the house cracks me up as they love to help with that most times as well. Oh the fun of raising kids!

Stumble It!
marlynn said...

Andrew, we had many conversations about whether to bring both of them on super long overseas flights, just bring the older one, or leave both at home...in the end, we realized if we tried to separate them for even a day, they would go absolutely insane without each other. But how cool that you each got to have alone time with one of the girls!

Stumble It!
Suzi said...

That's sweet. I have a sister who is 7 years younger than me, so I get where you are coming from.

My boys play, fight, laugh, and love in a way my sister and I never did.

Stumble It!
Suzi said...

By the way visiting from SITS.

Stumble It!
AB HOME Interiors said...

I love five guys, their yummy burgers'......sorry, focus amanda! We are talking about the kids and love, not burgers and fries! haha Stopping by from SITS to leave some thursday bloggy love!

Stumble It!
Stephanie said...

I'm so glad you're son and daughter have a very special relationship. They looks so comforted by each other in the photo. My girls will be mad at each other, but if Brooklyn gets hit by another kid, Natalya starts hitting that kid. If I take Natalya grocery shopping, she looks so sad at first.

Stumble It!
Cheryl Lage said...

That top picture made my aged ovaries twinge. Just darling. :)

Hope you're well!

Stumble It!