5.25.2009

Wishing Others Happiness



I'm excited to watch tonight's season premiere of Jon & Kate Plus Eight. I'm not a regular viewer but after everything that's happened to them in the media the past few weeks, I feel this odd protectiveness of them. Do I think Kate can be a little overbearing sometimes? Sure. Do I think Jon really cheated on her, and she on him? Maybe. But in the end, what I think doesn't matter. What you think doesn't matter. It pisses me off to no end that there are hundreds of people out there who revel in other people's unhappiness. Why do people care so much about other people's personal problems and have such strong opinions? I don't get it. I mean, I get the fascination part: I am a sucker for bad reality television because it's a nice escape from the craziness of my own real life. But really, do I ever want anyone I see on television to be unhappy? Do I wish horrible things to happen to them if I disagree with their beliefs, think they're a jackass, or I can't believe what they have done? No. I think that's horrible. What kind of person thinks that way, about anyone, regardless of whether they are on tv or not? I don't care what you do behind closed doors. I don't care about your personal life. I simply wish you happiness and joy and the strength to triumph through life's many difficult challenges. That's it. I don't understand how anyone can ever hope anything differently for others, much less strangers.

So I'm a few minutes away from the Jon & Kate Plus Eight season premiere. In the end, she's a mom, a woman, a human being; he's a dad, a man, a human being. Together they are parents with good days and bad days just like the rest of us, and no matter what, you cannot doubt that they love their children more than anything. For that, they deserve happiness, they deserve positive thoughts and strength to deal with challenges as we all do, they deserve our respect. Life is not easy, for anybody. We should be here for each other, as fellow human beings all trying to do the best we can, regardless. Bottom line.

7 comments:

Val said...

I think a lot of it boils down to how miserable people are in their own lives. They will always enjoy seeing other people hurt because it validates their miserable lives. Rather than take responsibility for their own miserable lives and do something about it. :(

I am really starting to hate the media. I don't watch Jon and Kate, but there is no way I'd believe a word out there in print or on the news event about it.

Stumble It!
Laura said...

I totally agree and appreciate that the show is letting them have a voice. Between ego, fame and eight kids its amazing that they are even getting dressed in the morning. Love your blog sweetie!

Stumble It!
Here Forward said...

Well said! Who in the world are we to judge anyway?

Stumble It!
Brenna said...

Very well said. I have read things about the show over the years (I watch here and there) and without even realizing it you start to think that you actually know these people. We don't know. We don't know what is going on in their personal lives beyond what they and the producers/editors show us. I do wish them well and after watching the show, feel truly sorry for what their lives have become regardless of what they have done to themselves and their family to get to that place.

Stumble It!
marlynn said...

Hmm...Val I think that is certainly true in some cases. It's hard not to judge others, but I really just think that we're all in the same boat: rich, poor, on tv or not, we're all just trying to live a decent life, right? :)

Thanks for your comments, ladies!

Stumble It!
Debbie said...

I don't watch them and don't get any delight in the fact that they are having so much trouble. I feel so sorry for those children.
In Jon and Kate's situation, I think if you earn your living 100% by living your life in front of people, then it is a tad unrealistic to think people will not continue to talk when the photos go bad.
I wish the uproar would die down, they would back off the public stage, and that their marriage - ande family- could be saved.

Stumble It!
AMANDA GILBERT DZURILLA said...

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn:

One should never direct people towards happiness, because happiness too is an idol of the market-place. One should direct them towards mutual affection. A beast gnawing at its prey can be happy too, but only human beings can feel affection for each other, and this is the highest achievement they can aspire to.Nice Comment!

Stumble It!